Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sunday Morning Running...Down(town)?

I hate running but it beats the alternative...being fat.  On my run Sunday morning I tried to think of all the redeeming things about running besides the obvious health benefits.

I like the me time.  Now I'm not a person that needs a ton of personal time but everybody needs a little bit.  My me time is rarely very productive, I do things like daydream and think about earth shattering ideas like why I run.  Every once in a while I have a brilliant idea while on a run and it makes it all worth it.

I can listen to music at any volume that I want.  I don't always listen to music while running but when I do I enjoy the fact that I can set the volume however I like.  My wife and I have different ideas about music volume, she usually turns my music down.  To be fair, I do the same to her when she puts on "I Will Survive" or some other crap super loud.  Our musical taste is actually not significantly different but there are exceptions.

I think it's important to see my neighborhood on foot.  Most of the time part of my run takes me through Old Town Torrance.  I like to see what community events are going on and it's exciting to see when new business are going in.  I tend to notice more things on foot than I ever would in a car. Like this:


My Sunday morning short run mix:
1.  Love You Better- Carlos Forster
I usually have at least one of my brother-in-laws songs on a running mix.  Carlos likes to know how fast people run.

2. Leavin' On a Jet Plane- J Mascis
Who knew that you could make a John Denver song sound like this?

3. Standing in the Shower Thinking- Jane's Addiction
My mom used to say that she liked the song with the dog's barking but not the one with peeing...sorry mom. This song brings me right back to middle school and in middle school I ran fast.

4. Rebound- Sebadoh
 Has a nice groove for running.

5. Freak Scene- Dinosaur Jr.
Ok a little bit of a trend here(Mascis, Sebadoh, Dino.).  My wife put this song on a mix she gave me when I went to Germany a few years back for the World Cup.  Kinda surreal flying down the Autobahn listening to Dinosaur Jr. with my parents.

6. Seven Nation Army-White Stripes
I think this song is cool, so there you have it.

7. Up on the Sun- Meat Puppets
Another good song for running and it doesn't rock as much as the previous couple of songs, gotta mix it up on a run.

8. Wild Mountain Nation- Blitzen Trapper
This song turned me on to this band.  I think this song sounds like it could be a Big Star song.
  
9. I Don't Care if There's Cursing- Phosphorescent
Saw this band in Portland at the Doug Fir, they were amazing.  At this point in my run I'm usually not looking for anything too fast that would mess with my pace.

10. Backwater- Meat Puppets
Another song by the Meat Puppets, I must have been lazy making this mix.  I just started getting into this band a couple years ago and I guess this is their "hit" if you don't count the Nirvana covers.

11. Headlights- Jackpot
Fully expected to be cooling down by this point.  Rad band should be better known.

No comments:

Post a Comment